Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some commonly asked questions about the Learning Center.
- 1. What do students have to do to share their scores with me?
Answer: Students must create student accounts and select you as their instructor. If they have not created student accounts, tell them to:
- Go to www.townsendpress.com and click Learning Center.
- Click Create an Account and follow the on-screen directions. During the account creation process, students will be asked to select their college or school. When they do, they will see a list of approved instructors. Your name should be on the list.
- 2. What if my students create accounts and don't see me listed at our school?
Answer: There are two possible reasons for this.
Reason 1: Your account may not have been created or approved when your students created their accounts. Log in and click the Settings icon (the gear in the upper right corner) and make sure your account status says “Approved.” (If not, go to Question 3.) If it’s approved, your students can now join you. Tell them to:
- Log in and click the Settings icon.
- Click Change next to the words “Teachers Linked to Your Account.”
- Then click the “pick your teacher” tab and select your name. That’s it!
Reason 2: You (or your students) may not be listed under the same school. Check the school(s) you and your students have chosen. Here’s how:
- Log in and click the Settings icon.
- Check Change under Teachers & Schools. Have your students do the same thing.
- If your schools are not the same, click Change next to Your School(s) and choose the correct school. Once your schools are the same, your students can join you.
- Instruct your students to join you using the steps outlined in Reason 1 (above).
- 3. I applied for an instructor account days ago and my account still isn't approved. What should I do?
Answer: Because the advanced features of the Learning Center are for instructors only, TP requires each instructor account to be verified and approved. This process usually takes three business days. During this three-day period, your account status will say “Pending” and you will not have access to the advanced features of this site. You can check your account status at any time by logging in and clicking the Settings icon.
If your account has not been approved after three business days, this is usually because we are having difficulty verifying your instructor status. In such cases, we attempt to contact you and/or your department chairperson using the information you have provided to us. If you have waited more than three business days and your account has not been approved, e-mail email@example.com or call (888) 752–6410. As soon as your account is approved, students will be able to join you.
- 4. Can students work in the Learning Center without an account?
Answer: Yes. Some practice exercises are available to students without an account. However these materials are limited. In addition, students who work without an account cannot view class assignments, share scores, or receive credit for their work. They also cannot access premium materials in the Learning Center. For this reason, we strongly recommend that all students create accounts and use them to complete work in the Learning Center.
- 5. Is an account free to students? What information is required to create an account?
Answer: Yes, it costs nothing to create a student account. All that is required is a user name and some basic account details. Premium materials, such as Vocabulary Plus and English Essentials Plus, do require a subscription to access. Subscriptions may be purchased from Townsend Press or from select bookstores. Call (888) 752–6410 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- 6. What if students don't have e-mail addresses? Can they create an account without one?
Answer: Yes. We ask students during account creation if they have an e-mail address. If the answer is no, students type a user name as an alternative.