FREE Now Through June 2023
An Academic Success and Study Skills Program!
A concise, hands-on academic skills program to help new and aspiring college students thrive in their courses. Offered as a digital program in the Learning Center and (soon) as a printed book, Stepping Up teaches note-taking, time management, test-taking, reading & study skills, and more, using engaging content, interactive assignments, and ample practice.
STEPPING UP is FREE now through June 2023
Stepping Up uses surveys, a mock schedule, sample syllabi (complete with deadlines), and an academic calendar to familiarize students with the many demands college will put on their time. Accompanying activities help students learn to prioritize, schedule, and plan for tasks weeks or months in advance. The goal: to equip students with the time management strategies they'll need to thrive in college from day one.
Stepping Up features audio lectures from a variety of academic disciplines, giving students hands-on practice taking and evaluating notes—a scenario they are likely to experience many times in college. Accompanying activities then coach students on how to recognize cues that speakers use to signal important information and related concepts. Using Stepping Up, students will know what to look and listen for in class so they can take better, more complete notes.
Studying is an essential activity in college. Unfortunately, many students don't know how to do it effectively. Stepping Up prepares students to study by first introducing them to key concepts about how learning and memory function. Building on this research, Stepping Up goes on to provide practice activities that teach students different ways to store and recall information from memory. Activities also work to help students create study plans, evaluate their own knowledge, and prepare for tests.
Test-Taking and Reading Skills
Drawing from cross-disciplinary textbook passages, Stepping Up teaches active reading strategies anchored in the PRWR method, an approach proven to help students understand and retain information. Instruction and practice in identifying main ideas, supporting details, and key transitions is also included. In addition, Stepping Up features a learning module devoted to test-taking. Topics covered include test anxiety, item-specific exam strategies, and ways to build and gauge overall test readiness.
Sample Syllabi and Course Schedules
to Practice Time Management
Sample Textbook Passages
to Practice Reading Skills
Sample Audio Lectures
to Practice Note-Taking Skills
Sample Test Questions
to Practice Test-Taking Skills
- Open-Ended Assignments that prompt students to explore their campus, boost their motivation, and assess their readiness as they embark on their college journey.
- Informative Readings that introduce each key skill area in a practical and relevant context that will resonate for new and aspiring college students.
- Review Activities after each section to reinforce concepts taught in the readings. Students can revisit each passage as they work and complete activities multiple times at their own pace to achieve mastery.
- Real-World Practice Assignments that encourage students to apply the concepts they’ve learned. Stepping Up includes textbook excerpts, audio lectures, course syllabi, and sample test items to prepare students for what they will encounter in their own classes—and equip them for success.
- Immediate Feedback that is clear and instructive. All review and practice activities feature meaningful feedback that explains key concepts and deepens understanding.
- Digital Access to Acclaimed Assessments, including our 4 College Reading Tests, 2 Tests of Written English, and Vocabulary Placement Test.